1. Plan ahead. Do your research, find out what you want to see and how to get there, the city has lots to offer different people, if you only have a short time here, make it count. I relied a lot on Trip Advisor & Yelp.
2. Take a bus tour. The roads are busy and parking is scares and pricey! We paid $130 for 2 tickets with Big Bus Tours and hopped on and off freely without any fuss. Get up EARLY to make sure you have the time to fit everything in. There are 3 loops of you go with Big Bus:
– Downtown. The best places this will take you to (in my opinion of course) are Coral Gables (aka City Beautiful – does it need more intro than that?) Little Havana, a great place to taste Cuban food and drink and get a little taste of Cuba without leaving Miami. Vizcaya Museum, a historic and vast site that is rated one of the top sites on things like Trip Advisor.
– Uptown. This route will take you to Wynwood Walls, a MUST for any street art or graffiti lover! It’s bold it’s bright, it’s everywhere, it was one of my favourite places in Florida, not just in Miami!
– Beach. Pretty much as it says on the tin here but you NEED to visit SoBe whilst in Miami and check out the Art Deco district, especially if you’re interested in architecture. Here you will also find Ocean Drive the heart of all the bars and restaurants. This tour will take you to Lincoln Square too for all your shopping requirements.
3. Take a boat tour. Included in our ticket price for the Big Bus, we had a 90 minute tour of Biscayne Bay and some of the islands there. It was brilliant! Some of these islands are home to top celebrities and can oy be accessed by boat!
4. Take plenty of money. The average ‘tip’ expected in bars and restaurants in Miami is around 20%… If you want to get a second drink quickly at the bar, it’s a good idea to tip well on your first one. Just saying.